Watch collecting can be a very costly hobby. It’s all about finding authentic quality items to add to your collection. That being said, if you’re a watch collector then you probably already know that their are a lot of fake watches on the market. But how is a collector to know which watches are real and which ones are counterfeit. We’ll cover that and more in today’s article.
It’s easy to fall into the trap of a good deal. If you run across an designer watch and the person selling it is giving you an amazing deal, you may want to take a good look before making your purchase.
It is important to get to know the different watch brands before you buy them. A good watch collector will study the brands that they like and do their due diligence. Here are the things that you need to look for:
1. Weight – A fake watch is usually made with cheap material that is lighter than their actual counterparts. Real luxury watches are generally heavier and feel more dense.
2. Material. The color of the fake watches are typically a bit off. The more you get into the hobby, the more these things become apparent. You’ll need to look at the materials and the finishing closely before making your final purchase.
3. Engravings. Counterfeit products make an effort to copy the engravings on the real watches. The real watches have sharper and clearer engravings then the fake ones. Make sure to study what the engravings look like on the real watch brands.
4. Sound and Movement. These two things are very important to understand. Real luxury watches are built with quality in mind. For this reason, we observe better movement and better sound on them. Fake watches will have a hard time replicating this.
5. Paperwork. If you want to guarantee authenticity, then you’ll want to see the paperwork on the watch. This will let you know for a fact if you’re dealing with the real deal or if you’re dealing with a fake.
You should also try to avoid any deals that seem rushed, cheap, and lack that paperwork. If a deal seems too good to be true, then it usually is.